Siew Lan Low Guidelines
The Siew Lan Low (S.L.L.) Fund enables current TRAILBLAZERS paid members or active Captain/Volunteers to participate in club functions or purchase items, where they otherwise could not, due to financial restraints. The fund began with a $500.00 donation by the late Captain, Kiang Low.
A paid member and or active Captain/Volunteer of the current fiscal year; must pay for their purchase in full and present the receipt along with a written request. All members are expected to be responsible for at least 25% of the total cost before being reimbursed the balance, not to exceed a total of $50.
- The fund is to be used by paid members or active Captain/Volunteers, within the current fiscal year.
- Members or active Captain/Volunteers may apply for the full amount of their receipts each fiscal year, if they qualify, with the understanding the reimbursement is capped at $50.
- Priority is given to first time requests.
- Memberships are no longer covered.
- A Deaf-blind member must pay in full for their ASL Signers and Intervenors before applying to the S.L.L. Account. All ASL Signers and Intervenors fees will be fully reimbursed.
- If a member or Captain/Volunteer has been given a free ticket to a TRAILBLAZERS event by a donor; they in turn cannot apply for subsidy from the S.L.L. Trust Account if they have an escort.
- Paid members or active Captains/Volunteers must apply within seven days in writing after the actual event.
- A paid member or active Captain/Volunteer is allowed to file a request with the S.L.L. Trust account once a year only.
- Eligible members may submit a request for funds, in any written format, to the S.L.L. Committee, i.e. e-mail, Braille, large or regular print.
- The only time a member and or an active Captain/Volunteer are not required to submit a written request for the S.L.L. Trust account is if they he/she is in the hospital/nursing home and have no access to a computer, are allowed to request verbally for assistance.
- The application will include the reason for the request and the full cost of the item.
- A copy of the receipt(s) or verification of purchase must be accompanied with your letter of request.
- Members or active Captain/Volunteers can claim funding for the following items: Doggie Day Care, sportswear, travelling fees, lunches and or tickets for club events.
The committee consists of the President, Member At Large and a paid member of the current year.
The committee will review the request and render a decision. If many requests are submitted at one time with minimal money in the fund, the committee will review the requests and render a decision.
Currently, the total payments will not exceed $50.00 per person per fiscal year, in order for the fund to be available to more members. Special circumstances will be considered if there is sufficient money in the fund.
- The Siew Lan Low Fund Committee: To review all requests for funding fairly and in accordance with the funding criteria.
- All applicants’ information must be kept confidential and within the committee with the exception of the Treasurer.
- The committee must render any decisions in a timely manner and to accurately maintain records of all requests, decisions and funding awards with supporting documentation.
- As of 2011, TRAILBLAZERS Executive voted that in March of each fiscal year, the Finance Officer or President will see that the Siew Lan Low account will be topped up with 10% of yearly donations.